The New Synagogue in Berlin was the largest Synagogue in 19th Century Germany, serving as religious building with a capacity of up to 3.000 people. It was heavily damaged during the Second World War and subsequently torn down in the sixties. In July 1988 the New Synagogue Berlin - Centrum Judaicum was founded, with a goal to create a center for preserving and fostering Jewish culture. Temporary and permanent exhibitions are bringing the past to the future.
As part of the renewed permanent exhibition in 2018, "Psalm 130" offers a glimpse into the lost great central hall of the Synagogue.
A large graphic shows an archive image of this central room of prayer which dissolves into a fine line drawing. A cone of light illuminates the graphic and focuses on the center of the room, the Bima. When the exhibit is viewed through a pane of glass attached to the synagogue benches, a scene from the past is revealed: a women's choir stands in front of the Bima and rehearses on the occasion of the Jewish New Year celebration in 1932. An audio station completes the original recording of the Deutsche Wochenschau.